Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Baby Bragging


Ben knows over 100 words. He has started stringing two and three words together, such as "Bye-bye, Daddy" and "fall down" and "more juice." When I picked him up from the church nursery this morning, the attendant told me he had been reciting colors for most of the hour. He can fill in a lot of the rhyming words from Hippos Go Beserk, and he has been learning some numbers and colors. His pediatricians have commented on his strong language skills.

Am I bragging? If so, what does it mean?

The non-parent readers of my blog are probably suppressing yawns; who cares if my kid knows his colors by 17 months as opposed to three years? Don't most kids learn their numbers, letters, and colors sooner or later?

But it's a touchy subject with fellow mothers. Obviously, children develop at different rates. So that means, given a group of 17-month-olds, some will be barely walking, while others will be spinning in circles and running backwards. Some will be mostly pointing and gesturing, while others will be chattering away. It's hard not to compare your kid to the others in a playgroup, even as you remind yourself that nearly all children become proficient walkers and talkers.

Underlying some of this anxiety about children's development are two assumptions:
  1. Advanced babies become advanced children and then successful adults.
  2. If a baby is advanced in one area, it's thanks to the parents. Likewise, if a baby is behind in an area, it's the parents' fault.

I don't know that either assumption is true. My mother-in-law is fond of pointing out that my husband walked at 9 months, but that doesn't mean he grew up to be especially coordinated. In fact, I'd label him a "normal" walker.

As far as the second assumption, can I claim credit for Ben's achievements? Tom and I have provided Ben with a language-rich environment from birth, but it's hardly simple cause and effect. I know other parents who have done the same, only to have their children talk later. To a large extent, I believe Ben's personality and preferences are simply unfolding, and our job is to guide him. We give him alphabet magnets because he is interested in letters, but we also encourage him to climb up on the couch because he finds climbing difficult.

I want to be able to celebrate his accomplishments. I delight in Ben's strengths, just as I worry about his weaknesses. When Ben is tired and frustrated, Tom or I will tell him, "It's hard work being a baby." We mean it. Baby humans take a long time to mature and develop. They slowly gain control over their bodies. They begin to use words to communicate. At some point (we hope) they even become capable of abstract thought and cleaning up after themselves. I believe we can celebrate a child's accomplishments even if those accomplishments aren't advanced or unique. I still remember going out for ice cream when I was four and had just learned to tie my shoes. There are lots of milestones kids can be proud of, and parents can be proud right along with them.

At the same time, though, I worry about even using words like "achievement" and "accomplishment"--I think because there's a dark side of me that wants Ben to be smarter and more advanced than the other babies. I'm trying to suppress that side. I don't want the language of achievement and work in his life too soon. I don't want to become one of those parents who define themselves by what awards their kids win and where Junior goes to college.

At the point his his life, Ben plays and explores. He is interested in the world around him, and I don't want to frustrate him by pushing him too hard, or discourage him by taking ownership of what he does. But I want him to know I'm proud of him. I want him to believe in himself. This is a balance that I'll probably strive for as long as I'm a mother.

Most of all, when I think of what I want for Ben, I want him to be healthy and happy. I want him to find his place in the world, through both relationships and a career. I would like him to grow up to be kind. I want him to be able to deal with the ups and downs of life. When I use those general desires to guide my daily parenting, I feel less anxiety and more confidence. Will the fact that he knows a lot of words at 17 months have much of an impact on his adult life? Probably not. But he just might remember how much his parents loved him and encouraged him.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

I ask myself a lot of those questions. I don't work on anything with Elena, I'm not around enough with working FT. DH is not the most verbal or verbose person I have ever met, but alas, she's coming along. She's not all the good at enunciation, but is very physically adept. I try to just go with the flow. It's so hard to not want to brag or at least share accomplishments with other baby moms. hmmmmm...though provoking, Tess. Thank you.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Resolution Gal said...

Duuuuuuuuude. Ben talks good.

Just kidding.

I like to think that I'm pretty good at not comparing my child to other people's kids. And yet, reading "Ben knows 100 words" I am ashamed to admit that I thought "Dammit, what am I doing wrong that Gena doesn't know that many?".

It's ridiculous, really. I mean, my child is (technically) verbally advanced, but even so, she's not as advanced as YOUR advanced baby is. It's a dumb game to play, and yet.... here I am.

Ben is a lucky kid to have parents who are so attentive and whatnot. I'm home with Miss G, but even so, I'm afraid that my good intentions for teaching her get overrun by school and work and the stress of being a sometimes-single parent and running a two-home home. I'm ashamed to admit that sometimes my kid falls through the cracks.

Can I send her to live with you for a bit? {:o)

8:14 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Heather--You know, even typing "Ben knows 100 words," I was anxious that someone would comment, "Yeah? You think that's a big deal? My kid knows 200!" That's the problem with getting into those kinds of games--it's impossible to win them. I know that, and still I find myself thinking that way sometimes.

I'm not exactly drilling Ben. We sing the Noah song a gazillion times a day ("God said to Noah, there's gonna be a floody floody"--no idea why he loves that so much), and we count fingers and toes, but a lot of the time I let him play by himself. Ben has never once said "Dude."

And Keeks, Ben doesn't show any particular aptitude for puzzles. :)

Tess

4:32 AM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I love the variety of children. Are any of you second-time mothers? I hadn't intended to become one as soon as I did (my girls are 14 mos apart), but their closeness in age has put most all of this anxiety in perspective!

Juliette, too, has an amazing aptitude for language, and her memory is astounding. She knew all of her colors and her alphabet by her 18-mo check-up, which surprised her Dr. Ilsa, however, calls all colors blue or black (she's now 22 mos). However, Ilsa can use a fork like nobody's business and drinks from a regular cup (no sippies, no straws). Juliette can hardly hold her fork, let alone manage it successfully and consistently, and she'll be three next Tuesday.

My moral: if you have a second child, you realize that you will never stop checking their progress against other children, even their siblings. However, you will come to realize that their successes and slow areas are not entirely matters of parenting. Siblings prove the randomness of genetics and the myriad personalities that can result from the same two parents. It's really entertaining (as long as you don't use it as a weapon to pit one sibling against another - these examples are things I'll save in the back of my head for when they have kids, to reassure them of differences, not to put them in competition when they're still growing and learning!).

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tess,

Yes, but the important thing is, did you teach Ben to bark yet? :)

I think you should post the words to the Noah song, because I can't remember them. (Then again, *I* didn't learn to walk until 14 months old, so maybe I've always been a little slow.) >:)

Seriously, though, you make some excellent points about the futility, and inevitability, of new mommies comparing their children.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I love to hear parents bragging up their kids. Make sure your kids hear you, too, parents of young (and older) kids!

Hh

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home