Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Belly Dancing


Every Monday night, I head to the Webster Groves rec center for my belly dance class. I've been belly dancing off and on for a few years now, and even though I'm still working on the basics, I really enjoy it.

For one thing, I like the costumes. I have a simple hip scarf, purple shot through with iridescent threads, with one row of silver coins. Most nights, I add a pair of dangly earrings or an anklet. Unlike ballet, I can wear my hair down. Last night we finished the class dancing with veils, which always reminds me of playing dress-up as a little girl. I can only hope that one day I'll be good enough to dance with a sword.

Belly dance is also good exercise. The classes usually start with stretching and warm-ups, progress to more rapid, intense movements, and then end with deep breathing and a cool-down. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would choose Slimnastics (a concurrent class at the rec center), when they could dress up and move gracefully to exotic music for an hour.

What I love most about belly dance, though, is that it encourages women to feel comfortable with their bodies. Most of the time, when people start belly dancing, there's a lot of nervous giggling. People raise their eyebrows and look at one another: Did the teacher really tell us to shake our chests? But all three teachers I've had have emphasized that this dance is for all women. Not just thin women. Not just young women. It is a folk dance--a dance of the people.

The first class I took, in North Carolina, said in the brochure that belly dance was "traditionally by women, for women." My husband and I laughed at the idea--that's certainly not the way a lot of Americans see belly dance. But it's an old fertility dance, done by women to celebrate their femininity. Men might be interested in watching such a celebration, but that's not the main point. Personally, I can only see it as a good thing if men are interested in watching real women, of all shapes and sizes, who feel happy and good about themselves as women.

Every woman I know can recite a litany of complaints about her body. A lot of us tend to think, I could feel good about myself if only... and then fill in the blank with something that hasn't happened yet. Belly dance teaches, feel graceful now. Feel good about yourself now. If you don't like your body or feel confident, act as if you do. Don't worry about the size of your hips; in fact, call attention to them by making them jingle. Soon, you'll lose your self-consciousness and be shimmying away.


Photo by louneytoon on flickr.com.

10 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

This is fun insight into you as a person and about belly dance.

I certainly think the costumes, which I see in a store near us, are beautiful.

I'm always telling women in my classes to "be proud you're a woman" when we do posture exercises and pelvic tilts and we all thrust our chests out proudly.

Hh

4:20 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

That's what I enjoy about my bellydancing as well. You can tell the women in the class who haven't done it before - self-conscious. But it eases when the music starts. MOST women have it in them naturally. Those who really cannot find that deep rhythm, I think, have been too long without that sort of feminine grace and inner awareness for too long. A shame!

I'm missing my second class as I type because of an obligation Keven has at school (and because the kids and I are sick) - pooh.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Precie said...

Ok, your post has just convinced me! A friend of mine emailed me last week, asking me if I'd like to sign up for a bellydancing course at our local community college. I've been on the fence about it (particularly from a philosophical perspective, which you've now re-positioned!), but I'm totally sold! She contacted me too late for this semester, but now I'm hoping we can sign up to start in January! Woo-hoo!!!!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Tonya said...

I had no idea you did this! How fun! I am going to have to look into this for myself and maybe my daughters too.

9:09 AM  
Blogger SAS said...

Lovely.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Counting_Blessings said...

What a beautiful post, from an inner spirit strength perspective. I have thought about belly dance here and there and I thank you for a great insight into the practice!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Resolution Gal said...

My mom was a professional belly dancer before she had me, and then after I was born. Sometimes when I meet a particularly uptight person complaining about parents with "unconventional" jobs, I throw that bit of personal information out there, just to see how they respond.

Normally, they shut up right away and get all embarassed.

I always wonder if they get embarassed because they can't understand how someone with a more mainstream career (such as myself) is a product of such an odd parent. Of course, now my mom's a librarian, so she's more socially acceptable, I guess. LOL (Whatever. I'm proud of the fact that my mom's a member of the Bellydancing Librarians group. Combine that with the fact that she rides a motorcycle to work, and hey, I've got the coolest mom on the block. LOL)

Besides, as a kid (and now as an adult) her costumes were the best thing to occupy us on a rainy day. Fun stuff!

Have fun with your class, Tess. And definitely encourage more women to at least give it a try... you never know who you'll convert.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

My girls love my costume :) I'm going to have to make them ones for Halloween next year, I think.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Shekky said...

How fun! Is there a way to cover up and still do it cuz I'd be afraid to show my belly after three kids lol.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Precie said...

Shell--In case you're still curious, a friend of mine who is an Orthodox Jew is very into belly-dancing and so she wears a long-sleeve leotard under the rest of the costume so she can maintain modesty and still wear the costumes.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home