Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Joys of Homeownership


Now our house fan has stopped working, and our home protection plan doesn’t cover it. The fan isn’t crucial—we also have central air and heat—but it’s just one more thing to go wrong with this darn house.

As I wait for the repair guy to show up so I can pay him $75 to clean the heater, I’m going to take this opportunity to remind myself of the joys of homeownership:

1) Ben has a yard. I shudder to think about trying to survive this fall in an apartment with a toddler. Many afternoons at around 5, it has been a lifesaver to let him play in the front yard.

2) If we get up at 6 or Ben starts having a screaming tantrum, we don’t have to worry about the people above, below, or on either side of us.

3) We don’t have to listen to other people’s noises either, or worry that the landlord will remodel a nearby apartment during the baby’s naptime.

4) No more juggling groceries and a baby across the parking lot and street, up the sidewalk, through the lobby, up the stairs, in the elevator, and down the hall.

5) No more smelling other people’s cooking in the hallways.

6) We have space to spread out. Instead of keeping our exercise bike in our living room, we now have it in the fitness corner of our basement. We have a TV room AND a living room.

7) We have a set of patio furniture and a deck, so if the mosquitoes ever die it will be pleasant to sit outside and read.

8) I finally feel like a grownup.

9) We no longer have to deal with our incompetent landlord.

10) We no longer throw our housing money away on rent. Every month, a tiny amount of what we pay gets added to our principal. If we stay here for another 29 years and 8 months (which, come Monday, is the exact amount of time I've been alive), we will actually own our house outright.

I’ll have to remind myself of this list each time I pull out my checkbook or swipe my debit card at Home Depot.

6 Comments:

Blogger Natalie said...

Home ownership sucks when crap tears up though, and you have to pay for it out of pocket rather than call and say "Mr. Robbins? I know its christmas morning, but our heat is out!!" and know that he has to pay for it.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can definately relate on the cooking smells thing! our last neighbors a special affinity to garlic. Often, when I went to work, people would ask if I had gone out for Italian, because my coat had aborbed the smell....and I had eaten something boring!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, out heat did go out last year on Christmas Day. No lying!! I think it cost us like $300 to have it fixed. The part in reality costs only about $10!!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Counting_Blessings said...

Wait, we just bought a house too! Let the joys of homeownership come our way too, I hope..

Congratulations and many blessings to you in your home. I love your window treatments in your front window.

Tracy

6:19 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I don't miss Home Depot one bit since moving into our apartment here on campus. Something breaks - I call maintenance. They're not like regular landlords, because it's university-run. And I hate having to get dressed and look presentable first thing in the morning when I want to take a load of clothes down to the laundry room. But other than that, I don't miss home ownership one bit. Granted, our situation is really different than most. I mean, we have a park for a backyard! :)

6:49 PM  
Blogger Francesca said...

People are awfully negative about home ownership. I rather like it. Things break. I fix them. I like not being in thrall to some uber-owner-authority. I like painting things on the walls without thinking twice. I like feeling free to knock as many nails in as it takes to get the picture in exactly the right spot. I like being sandwiched by even crabby neighbors. I like having even a tiny garden that I can plant in or leave to rot. I like it. It's good. Enjoy!

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home