Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, November 04, 2005

Friday Miscellany: Public Service Announcements

1) The difference between it's and its:

it's = it is. The word is a contraction, like don't or can't, and the apostrophe shows that a letter (i, in this case) is missing.

its = belonging to it. This word is a possessive pronoun, like his, hers, or theirs--none of which contain apostrophes.

This is perhaps the most common error I've seen in blogs and message boards.


2) SUV backover deaths:

If you drive an SUV and live with or near small children, read this article, and make sure to check your blind spots.


3) If a tree falls:

If you're in the woods and a tree starts falling at you, step to the side to avoid being hit. Most people's instinct is to run away from the tree, but if it's [note the apostrophe, since the word is a contraction of it and is] a big tree it will still fall on you if you run in the opposite direction of its [note the lack of apostrophe, since the word is a possessive pronoun] fall. A friend told me her neighbor was killed this way, and when she found herself in the same position on a hike, stepping to the side saved her life.


Photo by vmease on flickr.com.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

I am SO guilty of the it's/its error. I know the difference but I type so fast sometimes I don't catch my right pinky missing the apostrophe key until after I post. Bad pinky!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Kellee said...

More grammar lessons, please. The world MUST be told & educated!

Be careful though, it will get you banned from BBC. Just ask a friend of mine!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Kellee--I think I know the thread you're talking about! I almost jumped in about its/it's, but I restrained myself.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

More grammar tips from a friend of mine.

Also, a co-worker from my husband's former job in Cincinnati ran over her first-born child, a year old boy in a stroller, when she was backing their SUV out of the drive. The brake on the stroller wasn't fully engaged. I cannot even imagine what her life will be like, forever scarred that way. Even now, almost two years later and when she's had another child, the fear and guilt would be too overwhelming to be the kind of parent you'd hope to be. Awful to think about.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home