Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Good Evening, Moon


Monday, I picked Ben up from day care. These days, I don't carry him out to the car--oh, no. He can walk by himself, thank you very much.

Now that the time has changed, the evening was getting dark, with the crescent moon rising over the treetops. I pointed it out to Ben, and his eyes got wide and he reached up to it, saying, "Moon!" He took himself down the steps one by one, carefully holding on to my hand and saying "Step...step....step...." When we got to our car, he ignored it, climbed up the curb, and started walking across a grassy hill.

Since the evening was beautiful, I followed. "Moon!" he said again, reaching up.

I watched Ben and marveled at the confidence and self-assurance he has developed over the past few months. He integrates new people and objects and places into his world with ease. I wonder how long he'll be able to keep his toddler fearlessness. I admire his determination and certainty, but I know that he will need to learn restraint and wisdom; otherwise, he will run out into traffic while chasing after the moon.

Before he could run down the steep hill and into the road, I scooped him up and gave him a kiss, then took him back to the car. As we went home, I could hear him in the back seat saying, "Moon...moon...."

Photo by curiouskiwi on flickr.com.

8 Comments:

Blogger curiouskiwi said...

Nice story to go with my photo. :) I suspect the moon you saw was probably upside down to this one, seeing that you are in the Northern Hemisphere.

My son doesn't want to be carried anymore either.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

I loved all the photos in that series! Thanks for sharing them on flikr.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tess, that was so sweet. It really captured what a moment is like with them. I loved it! Thanks for sharing!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

We did the same thing last night. These early, dark evenings make it easy for them to be outside when the moon is out. Juliette always talks about this book when she sees it. A sweet read.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

I meant flickr.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Wow, Ben is so vocal!
I'm impressed with the "step step step"!

What a sweet little man :)

9:13 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Adorable story and gorgeous shot.

Hh

3:51 PM  
Blogger Precie said...

That's so wonderful! I loved this post! Yay, Ben!!

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home