Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, November 11, 2005

Quizzes

Speaking of standards, thanks to a 10-question quiz, I found out I could pass 8th grade math. Actually, I have very fond memories of algebra and I still miss it sometimes. When I was teaching high school, I tried without success to talk my principal into letting me teach one section of algebra.

The hardest math I took was Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science Majors in college. (I started taking CS courses to prove a point when a boyfriend told me I wasn't good with computers.)


You Passed 8th Grade Math

Congratulations, you got 10/10 correct!



Also, a test told me I should get a PhD in liberal arts.


You Should Get a PhD in Liberal Arts (like political science, literature, or philosophy)

You're a great thinker and a true philosopher.
You'd make a talented professor or writer.



Now, I have a Master's degree in English, but when I was deciding whether to continue for my doctorate, my "pro" list had one item: I would be called "Doctor." Everything else was a con, so I decided against it.

I think it's kind of funny that a six-question multiple-choice test has the chutzpah to tell me I'm a "great thinker." At least it told me I could make a talented writer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

That I'd be able to make the world call me doctor was the only reason I had for doing a PhD too. I also decided that wasn't reason enough. I might make them call me doctor anyway. Who's going to check?

7:42 AM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Hahahaha - glad I'm not the only one who considered that as a motivation for earning a PhD... and then scrapped the idea because of all the crap waiting between here and there :)

I got 9/10 math (missed the mode question), and I too should get a liberal arts degree... as if there aren't enough L.A. grads out there!

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home