Bye-Bye, Tee....
Today was a sad day: We took down our Christmas tree. Usually I see dismantling the tree as an annoying January chore, but this year, I was afraid to do it. Ben has been very attached to it, and loved naming all the ornaments. Whenever he found something he liked, he exclaimed, "On tee, on tee!" As of today, our tree was adorned with several stick-on bows, a container of bubbles, a happy face picture from the newspaper, a Slinky, a baby photograph from one of my friends, and a big glittery ribbon.
But today I told Ben that the tree was going bye-bye. He got a panicked look on his face and started saying "Nonono!", so I suggested we say goodbye to all the ornaments. We said goodbye to everything from the angel on down. Then Tom got out the cardboard box and we showed Ben how to put the ornaments away. He enjoyed flinging everything into the box, and then he watched as we unplugged the lights and dismantled the tree. He helped put braches in the box and said, "Bye-bye, tee."
This year, taking down the tree made me sad. Ben loved it so much; he loved nearly every part of Christmas. Looking at him, I realized that "next year" is meaningless to him, and it made me remember how much more slowly time passed during my childhood. I was sad to think that the child who sees the tree next year will be different; he'll know the difference between a bear that is pooping and one that merely has a tail. He probably won't be as wholeheartedly enthusiastic about putting all his most beloved objects on the tree. What will be under the tree next year? I can't even guess. Even so, I took consolation that all the tree, the ornaments, and the decorations, will all be back again.
But today I told Ben that the tree was going bye-bye. He got a panicked look on his face and started saying "Nonono!", so I suggested we say goodbye to all the ornaments. We said goodbye to everything from the angel on down. Then Tom got out the cardboard box and we showed Ben how to put the ornaments away. He enjoyed flinging everything into the box, and then he watched as we unplugged the lights and dismantled the tree. He helped put braches in the box and said, "Bye-bye, tee."
This year, taking down the tree made me sad. Ben loved it so much; he loved nearly every part of Christmas. Looking at him, I realized that "next year" is meaningless to him, and it made me remember how much more slowly time passed during my childhood. I was sad to think that the child who sees the tree next year will be different; he'll know the difference between a bear that is pooping and one that merely has a tail. He probably won't be as wholeheartedly enthusiastic about putting all his most beloved objects on the tree. What will be under the tree next year? I can't even guess. Even so, I took consolation that all the tree, the ornaments, and the decorations, will all be back again.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
6 Comments:
How sweet! Thomas wasn't that sad to see the tree go, but I think somehow he misses it.
What a sweet story, I love that the tree become a resting spot for treasured objects (including the bubbles!)
John wasn't as attached to the tree this year, but I'm beginning to think that I will have to keep our nativity set up all year long. John is completely attached to the figurines of Mary, Jesus, the kings, camels, etc. As soon as we walk in from being outside, he'll point to the manger scene, pick a figure and say "song". It makes me realize that there aren't many songs that I know out there that include Joseph!
Funny, but the girls didn't say a thing about it. I took the tree down the evening after we returned from my parents' farm. When they woke up in the morning, it was business as usual. They didn't notice it was missing or say anything. Two days later, Ilsa mentioned that the lights in our window were gone, but that was it. Maybe it was because we split our time between two trees :) I'm sure they would have noticed if my mom had taken her tree down in the middle of the night! Or else, as I like to think, they were satisfied by their Christmas experience and felt no sadness in feeling it wind down to its conclusion.
What a lovely tribute to your lovely tree, which brought so much joy this season to your beloved boy. I definitely look forward to next Christmas and Ben's reaction.
I remember the "seasons" of our manboy's growing up years...and the various stages they went through. I was so sad when they no longer even _wanted_ to decorate the tree. I found they were still interested in choosing a new ornament for the tree each year for awhile, though, as these would go to them as they grew older and leave our home.
What fun you have ahead of you with your young man.
Hh
I love that description of Ben wanting his favorite things to go on the tree!
Matthew was very attached to the tree this year too and was disconcerted when I told him we were putting it away. He did enjoy helping me put away ornaments and pack up the artificial tree so that helped him with the transition.
Taking the tree down already makes me sad so this year it was especially bittersweet. I know every year will be different, but I'm sure every year will have its own special magic...for Matthew and for Ben!
Very sweet. I too love the fact that it was a resting spot for some of your boy's favorite things.
I was going to blog about this same sadness you speak of. We too just put everything away on Sunday and the house seemed so empty when it was gone.
Post a Comment
<< Home