Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Saturday Art

Not Mountains But Factories

Not Mountains But Factories

This is a small sketch of our view from the third floor. It's what you see off in the distance over our neighbors' houses.

Since college I thought I would live near the woods. I like camping, and I like hiking. But here I am in Philadelphia, and I like my view.

I used to think to like something meant you had to have it all the time. But I don't love the woods any less because I live here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tess said...

Ah, I was looking at that just a week ago!

It's a good point that liking something doesn't mean you have to have it all the time. When I'm overloaded with activities, I remind myself that giving something up for the moment doesn't mean giving it up forever.

Is webkist down? My emails to you and Mike haven't been going through. The error message says something about too many hops.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Kaela said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Kaela said...

Yes, webkist was down. Mike inspected the poor dusty computer and guessed - correctly - that the power supply was dead. I thought the power supply was the cord that ran to the wall, but that's not true. It's a metal box with a fan in it that has about 800 cables running out of it that's suspended inside the surprisingly empty computer case (do you know there's really not much filling up that metal box [I should have remembered this the one time I put something into my old mac a million years ago]? There's a motherboard of sorts [I think that's the right term] on one wall and this power supply up on top and then a few other small whirlygigs attached here and there, the dust and that's about it).

Anyway, we stopped by the computer geek's mecca, MicroCenter, on our way to visit family on Saturday and he bought the needed piece. We got home too late to think, so he fixed it on Sunday.

Thanks for letting me know your messages didn't get through. Mike thought we weren't losing any. Oh, all that spam that won't reach me! What to read now?

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home