Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Home Again

We are finally back home. Traveling with a toddler is exhausting, especially when you're in the holding pen for the G gates at Dulles airport and there aren't enough seats and said toddler wants to lie on the floor sobbing "nononono," which at least drowns out the announcements that your flight still has no crew. I looked longingly over at the airport bar but instead had to content myself with a dry, overpriced sandwich.

I hadn't realized how much travel would disrupt Ben's routine. After all, he's outgoing, and he likes new people and new places. But as much as he enjoyed seeing everyone, traveling from State College to Lancaster to Philadelphia left him fairly cranky, with frequent meltdowns. It didn't help that he came down with a bad cold and we had to find a doctor in Lancaster on New Year's Eve day to check out his cough.

But we got to go back to Pennsylvania and see friends and family. That part was wonderful, though I'm still coming to terms with the fact that we had to come back home to Missouri. (Throughout the vacation, I found it odd to remember that we had a house a thousand miles away.) It also makes me sad that going back is so stressful (not to mention expensive), and probably will be until Ben gets older or we move closer.

Now we're back, though, and ready to get back into our routines. Ben goes to school tomorrow, and I'll be back with a review of King Kong.

6 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Welcome home! I enjoyed your Linkapalooza!

Hh

5:53 PM  
Blogger Counting_Blessings said...

Welcome back as well. We didn't even travel over the holidays and John's routine was thrown off as well by all of the visits and festivities.. I hope our little ones settle back into their routines quickly and smoothly (so the moms can too !!)

Happy new year

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I COMPLETELY feel for you Tess. It really is amazing how a little travel will disrupt a toddler's schedule and thus, affect his moods. I understand how you must have felt to have Ben having a meltdown in the airport.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

When we went to England in Nov of 2004, I kept telling people "they're not normally like this!" It was true, but it sounded like such a lousy explanation for their frequent crying fits, bizarre sleeping patterns, dislike of every food put in front of them, and random meltdowns. I love visiting, but children do not seem to.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Precie said...

Welcome back, Tess! I'm sorry to hear the traveling was so stressful, especially the delayed flight home! Poor Ben! But I'm guessing he'll bounce right back once he gets back into his usual routine!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

We're really cranky, as moms, aren't we? On one hand, we crave and NEED routine for daily survival with our kids, but we anticipate change and variation to save us from being ground down my boredome!

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home