Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Linkapalooza: Hamsters


While traveling over the holidays, I'll be posting briefly to share links I like. Regular posts will resume tomorrow, assuming we make it back to St. Louis at a decent hour.


Have you ever owned a hamster? This web site from the University of Minnesota tells you all you need to know about these furry creatures. A highlight:

Observant owners may note an interesting maternal rearing activity, especially if the female with young is excited or disturbed. She will stuff pups into her cheek pouches and deposit them into the nest a short time later when she believes the danger has passed. Occasionally, pups suffocate as a result of this activity, especially during lengthy periods of disturbance.


Photo by Seattle Roll on flickr.com.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, now that's too much cuteness.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I have owned a number of these cute creatures, as a kid, and our manboys had them as a first (and second and third) pet before we got the dog and (all) the cats.

The lifespan--we were told, the first time we got one-- for a hamster is about 3 years for a healthy hamster with good care. One of ours was in our home for over 1200 days. The manboys were quite young and homeschooling. We figured out on a calculator that Patches had lived 3.35 years or something, and they were happy he'd had a long life.

Hh

5:58 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

poor widdle baby hamsters!!

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home