Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, August 11, 2006

Imagination

One of the great joys of parenting has been watching Ben develop his imagination. Don't get me wrong--I'm also excited to see him learning letters and colors and galloping. But his imagination gives me insight into his personality, and a glimpse of the person he may become.

Ben has learned that you can pretend things are other things. He will take his sippy cup, put it in his bowl, and announce that he's grinding coffee. He will seat his stuffed dog and cat in his toy wagon and say he's taking them to preschool (which seems to be over by the front door). Sometimes he declares he's Big Bird. His battery-less flashlight is alternately a camera, a pogo stick, or a trumpet, which he "plays" by humming into the end.

When Ben was a baby, I marveled to see him discovering the world around him. Now, I marvel to see him discovering how the mind can shape the world.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it great? Naomi "pretendeded" (as she puts it) that a leaf she found was "baby bianca" (a one-year old we saw once) and she carried her "baby" to the car and gave her a nap. I am not quite sure why we bother with store bought toys...

5:14 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

That's hilarious! And sweet that she's taking care of her leaf baby.

At a birthday party on Saturday, Ben was given a plastic slinky. He put it over his arms and announced, "I'm wearing underwear!" We have no idea why he thinks a slinky is like underwear, but he keeps saying it.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home