Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Local Color

This afternoon, when I was making peach crisp (using this recipe--just substitute peaches for apples) I paused when I was halfway through filling the pan and noticed how beautiful the peaches were.


They were perfectly ripe: a little shriveled in their skin, and juicy, with a dark red center around the pit. I washed my hands and got my camera to document the bright colors, so much more intense than those of canned peaches surrounded by syrup.



Of course, it adds a considerable amount of time to stop in the middle to take pictures. I put the camera down and cut the rest of the peaches. Within a few minutes of putting the pan in the oven, the house smelled of cinnamon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kaela said...

NIce!

6:19 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

yummmmmm!!

I'm anxious to plant some peach trees! I prefer eating nectarines, but that peach crisp sounds awesome!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Tess said...

The peach crisp was great. I think I like it better cold than warm. And it has oatmeal and fruit in it, so it's healthy, right?

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire how you found beauty in the simple daily tasks of life. Art is everywhere if we only look.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home