Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Saturday Art

Here's a comic instead of something else. As you might be able to tell, I've been reading Lynda Barry recently (if I could I'd send a copy of One Hundred Demons to everyone I know).

Frame 1

Frame2

Frame2.5

Frame3

Frame4

8 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

Wow.

These are intense in their deceptive simplicity.

I think that state of mind you're talking about is what Zen folk call Flow -- a surrendering to the activity of the moment, when past and future (and therefore anxiety and regret) drop away and all there is, is what is. I seek it too.

That last cartoon looks especially like you somehow.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I'm gonna go hurt myself now, I think...

3:02 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

If you replace "art" with "writing," it's the story of my life.... Well, except the part about going to the beach.

Except now that I'm on a break from writing, I've been more relaxed about things. I keep meaning to blog about my "break."

I like the cartoon format! Is it something you've done before, or an experiment?

6:20 PM  
Blogger tom said...

i have long been of the opinion that kaela should draw comics. not to say that you shouldn't do other art, kaela, but i've always liked your comicky things.

possibly i semi-secretly would like to draw comics, and if i could draw comics like you do, i *so* would.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Yes, blog about your break. I'm curious now. Reasons? Intentions?

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me, too.

mom

5:29 AM  
Blogger Kaela said...

(thanks for all the nice words!)

I've never done a frame by frame comic like this but I've been reading about them A LOT recently. My thoughts were beginning to take on the format of a comic strip so I just wrote them down. I'll have to try it again next time I have something to say.

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your cartoon has a lot of character. You manage to express so much, with such simple lines. I'm not sure how you accomplish it, but its amazing.
As for feeling as if you need an escape, I think we all feel like that sometimes, even if we are sure we are the only one. Have you ever tried, meditating or yoga? The good feelings you experience from running and art sound kind of like the Buddhist "being in the moment". It's something to thimk about.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home