Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Dark Side of Elmo

In an article on Slate.com today, author Troy Patterson describes the marketing of TMX Elmo and considers Elmo's sunny but shallow personality. He concludes darkly, "The character—a symbol of innocent joy peddled with the utmost cynicism—is a pure product of consumer culture, an exemplary TV star, a monster."

I have mostly been trying to tune out the buzz over TMX Elmo; I won't get sucked into letting toy manufacturers tell me what the "must-have Christmas present" is this year. At some point, Ben will start asking for specific toys and wanting what his peers have, but at age 2 he is not nearly that sophisticated in his demands. While I find it mildly interesting that the toy can fall over and stand back up again, for the most part I find it creepy. Really, it's everything I don't like in a toy: a noisy, licensed character that discourages imaginative play. The only possible benefit? Maybe Tumble Time Tigger would finally have someone to talk to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

I won't go to the dark side either. I think the novelty is in the aquiring the most wanted. Honestly, it will probably be collecting dust and occupying space when all is said and done.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home