Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, September 29, 2006

30-Second Reviews

It's the new fall TV season, and I've attempted to branch out a little. I usually go for comedies; I've never been a fan of legal or medical shows, and sci-fi gives me the creeps. We don't have cable, so I continue to lament our lack of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

Here are my takes on what we've seen so far:

The Office: This is my favorite show on television. This season, Jim's departure to a different branch promises to shake things up a bit, but I found myself hoping he'd be back in Scranton soon.

The New Adventures of Old Christine: I tuned in once after the show got an Emmy. Eh. Christine comes off as strident instead of funny, and the whole thing has a sit-commy feel.

How I Met Your Mother: This sweet, post-Friends look at dating in NYC has enough glimpses of truth that I believe in the characters; the witty repartee balances out the more sentimental moments.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: I've never watched anything by Aaron Sorkin before; I'm not a big fan of shows with lots of fast-paced, stylized banter. (I never could get into the Gilmore Girls.) But I'm starting to have a grudging affection for this show. In this week's episode, I got swept up in watching the characters work together to produce an episode, and I found myself rooting for them to pull it off.

The Simpsons: I am finding it harder and harder to invest time and energy watching this show. There are moments of satire, but the random, rambling plots make me think this family jumped the shark long ago. The episodes tend to linger in our TiVo list until we have absolutely nothing else to watch.

And I have to add... Sesame Street: At last, some new episodes! Ben is fond of Abby Cadabby, the new "fairy godchild" muppet; thanks to her, he pretends to use his wand to turn objects into pumpkins.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Oh God yes - the new episodes of Sesame Street are saving me from becoming a mindless babble. Even when I know it's one of the best shows on TV for the kids, I just CANNOT handle so many blasted repeats!!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

OK, unrelated, but what is it about our cities? First that crazy woman killing the lady & her babies there in St. Louis, and now this here.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I have never seen "The Office" or "The New Adventures of Old Christine."

The (part of) one episode I have seen of "How I Met..." was funny and enjoyable, but I haven't seen it again. (I'm not if that's because of when it's on--opposite something else I normally watch or whether it's because I am not home then, etc.)

I have _never_ liked "The Simpsons." Ever. Hubby and the manboys have watched (much to my chagrin through the years) however.

Haven't seen "Sesame Street" since the manboys were little (so at least 12 years...probably more.) I always enjoyed it--and they did, of course.

I really like "Studio 60." I enjoyed this episode as much as the first--perhaps more. As a "Crazy Christian" myself, I really could identify, I guess. ;)

Hh

5:04 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

OK...you need to turn on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, My Name is Earl and, if you ever see it on FX, Starved. I agree with your assessment of The Office...I LOVE IT!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home