Blogging Less
When I was talking with Kaela last night, she pointed out that I've been blogging less. I was almost surprised she noticed. I've been feeling a bit down on blogging lately. I've been getting over a very nasty cold (and nursing Ben through the same), and busy with work and social activities. My critique group has placed further demands on my writing time, so some days blogging has been pushed to the side.
I'll admit I've been grumbling to myself, "Nobody seems to read it anyway"--although my counter at the bottom and the occasional comments seem to prove that thought wrong. I've been uncertain about subject matter. Do I add some little, inconsequential posts? ("Hey! It's Groundhog Day!") Do I try for some long and in-depth essays? (For almost a year now, I've been meaning to write a post entitled "Bowling with Lots and Lots of People," but I know it will be long so I find it daunting.) Do I simply remain silent until I find something profound to say? What do I want out of my blog, anyway? What, if anything, are other people getting out of it?
At the moment, I have no cheery summation--I'm still pondering all of this.
I'll admit I've been grumbling to myself, "Nobody seems to read it anyway"--although my counter at the bottom and the occasional comments seem to prove that thought wrong. I've been uncertain about subject matter. Do I add some little, inconsequential posts? ("Hey! It's Groundhog Day!") Do I try for some long and in-depth essays? (For almost a year now, I've been meaning to write a post entitled "Bowling with Lots and Lots of People," but I know it will be long so I find it daunting.) Do I simply remain silent until I find something profound to say? What do I want out of my blog, anyway? What, if anything, are other people getting out of it?
At the moment, I have no cheery summation--I'm still pondering all of this.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
4 Comments:
No pressure Tess- but you are my inspiration for reviving my diary/journal. It has helped me to look back and reflect on where/what I have been thinking.
What purpose does this format serve for you?
That's great!
I guess I'm not entirely sure what I want from my blog. I like that it keeps me writing, and it gives me a chance to interact with an audience. I also like that it serves as a record of things that interested/concerned me. I like being able to combine words and pictures.
I've been impressed by how regular your posts have been, especially compared to my own. I think the discipline of trying to write something every day has worked well in keeping your site fresh. That's the plus side. On the minus side, it is hard to keep that going with many other priorities in life. I follow the strategy of posting on an irregular basis, whenever inspiration strikes--and having other contributors on my blog helps keep the content going (although lately we have no posts for a long time...) I think there are pros and cons to each strategy, but I think your regular posting habit has certainly made me visit your blog more often.
CL, I had noticed your blog had slowed down! I assumed part of it was your new job.
Part of why I was trying to post every day was to keep people coming back... but I'm not sure how much of a difference daily posting makes vs. every other day. I know, though, that when people only post once a month or so, I tend to visit those blogs less often.
Post a Comment
<< Home