Quick Reviews
Keeping up with three book clubs can be a challenge, but it's also fun to read a range of books. Here are some quick reviews of things I've read lately.
You: The Owner's Manual, by Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet Oz. While this book contained some useful information about the human body, I found the cutesy tone grating.
The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls. This memoir, in which the author describes her difficult but creative childhood, provided great discussion fodder for 2 of my book clubs. It did feel a little odd, however, to be discussing "characters," many of whom are still alive and off living their lives. Walls describes her childhood with great detail but without self-pity, although I did wish for a little more insight into her adult life.
What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal, by Zoe Heller. I really enjoyed this book, which was a quick read. The author is spot-on with her English dialogue, and she does a wonderful job developing the unlikely friendship between Sheba, a teacher accused of having an affair with a student, and Barbara, her older colleague. The choice of Barbara as the manipulative and unstable narrative provides a striking perspective and draws the reader in. I laughed out loud several times at Heller's turns of phrase and her insight into people's weaknesses and behavior.
Special Topics in Calamity Physics, by Marisha Pessl. I was perhaps biased because the author is living my dream of publishing a highly regarded novel in her twenties--but this book just didn't resonate with me. While I was glad a plot kicked in about halfway through, I found the constant allusions to and "quotations" from made-up works annoying. I thought the book was clever but ultimately lacking in heart.
The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss. Again, I found myself jealous of the author (at only 2 years older than I, she has published 2 novels, the latest of which has a blurb from Susan Sontag on the cover), but I have to admit--this was an amazing book, and I found myself in awe of Krauss's talent. She does equally well getting inside the minds of a teenage girl and an elderly immigrant man. At times I struggled to keep all the characters straight, but I didn't care. This book gave me insight into what it means to be human--what more can you ask from a novel?
You: The Owner's Manual, by Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet Oz. While this book contained some useful information about the human body, I found the cutesy tone grating.
The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls. This memoir, in which the author describes her difficult but creative childhood, provided great discussion fodder for 2 of my book clubs. It did feel a little odd, however, to be discussing "characters," many of whom are still alive and off living their lives. Walls describes her childhood with great detail but without self-pity, although I did wish for a little more insight into her adult life.
What Was She Thinking? Notes on a Scandal, by Zoe Heller. I really enjoyed this book, which was a quick read. The author is spot-on with her English dialogue, and she does a wonderful job developing the unlikely friendship between Sheba, a teacher accused of having an affair with a student, and Barbara, her older colleague. The choice of Barbara as the manipulative and unstable narrative provides a striking perspective and draws the reader in. I laughed out loud several times at Heller's turns of phrase and her insight into people's weaknesses and behavior.
Special Topics in Calamity Physics, by Marisha Pessl. I was perhaps biased because the author is living my dream of publishing a highly regarded novel in her twenties--but this book just didn't resonate with me. While I was glad a plot kicked in about halfway through, I found the constant allusions to and "quotations" from made-up works annoying. I thought the book was clever but ultimately lacking in heart.
The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss. Again, I found myself jealous of the author (at only 2 years older than I, she has published 2 novels, the latest of which has a blurb from Susan Sontag on the cover), but I have to admit--this was an amazing book, and I found myself in awe of Krauss's talent. She does equally well getting inside the minds of a teenage girl and an elderly immigrant man. At times I struggled to keep all the characters straight, but I didn't care. This book gave me insight into what it means to be human--what more can you ask from a novel?
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home