Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, March 26, 2007

Suburbia


Sometimes life in this town feels surreally wholesome. On Saturday morning, I worked in the front yard, planting flowers in pots and windowboxes. Two older neighbors across the street tended their lawns. Birds sang, and sunshine glowed over the flowering trees. Brad-the-mailman walked house to house, and his arrival set off chatter about our property re-evaluations, which everyone was receiving in the mail. I felt like I was in the beginning of a play set in small-town America.

That night, I was telling a friend at a party about the wholesome, neighborly feeling. She told me she thinks it's partially the effect of living in a neighborhood without garages. She used to live in an inner-ring suburb like mine before moving out to the newer exurbs; she says that now she hardly ever talks to her neighbors because everyone drives into their garages and enters their houses from there. We don't have a garage, and while some of our neighbors have detached garages or carports, people generally have to enter their houses through the front doors. Who knew that by lugging our groceries up the front walk we were also building community?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kaela said...

That's a nice post. I never thought of my gossiping with my next door neighbor as building community. Hmm.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right...it may not have so much to do with living in suburbia as living in a place where people go in through the front door. I just bought a little rowhouse on a nice, quiet residential street, but it is not uncommon at all to see neighbors coming and going, or even sitting on their porches. I don't know many of them yet, but the people to my right are very nice. Just when I was wondering who to borrow a snow shovel from after the late season snowstorm several days ago, I came home to find them shoveling the snow in front of my house already. "We figured you might not have a shovel yet, since you just moved in," they said. Granted, our front sidewalks are very, very small, so it wasn't exactly a huge thing, but it was still so nice to live in such a neighbor-ly place!
--Christian_Left

12:35 PM  
Blogger David said...

There's no question: Your neighbor is right. I live in an outer-ring Midwestern suburbs. I've lived here for 10 years and barely know most of my neighbors. The ones I do know are the **ones who walk.** And there aren't many of them.

How come in Thornton Wilder's "Our Town," everybody knows everybody else, and in, say, "The Swimmer," with Burt Lancaster, nobody does?

Garages. Swimming pools.

Thanks for the nice post.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home