Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Writing Thought of the Day

From Paul Auster's Hand to Mouth, which I'm currently reading: "Becoming a writer is not a 'career decision' like becoming a doctor or a policeman. You don't choose it so much as get chosen, and once you accept the fact that you're not fit for anything else, you have to be prepared to walk a long, hard road for the rest of your days."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although in Paul Auster's case, you get chosen to be a writer who runs into himself on the street while investigating the murder of one of his own characters who also happened to be a screenwriter working on a movie about you.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Kaela said...

*sigh* Paul Auster!

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get that woman a glass of water!

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes it sound like joining a convent, and I have the same response-- but how do i *know*?!

if you have doubt, does that mean you have not been chosen?

says the girl who finally got her official rejection letter, after the post office lost it.

yes, i got rejected bya publisher and then i got rejected by the post office.

it was a hard weekend.

me

1:02 PM  
Blogger Kaela said...

Naw... if you're still plugging on regardless, then you know...

9:57 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Kaela said what I was going to say.... If you're still doing it even after everyone else has grown up and started doing practical things, you're probably not going to quit.

In fact, I would say that it's not really about being "chosen" (which implies a person or entity doing the choosing) but about being born with a sort of disorder that compels you to keep putting words on paper (or onscreen) even when there's no immediate reward.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Counting_Blessings said...

my first reaction to this post was the word "vocation"

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home