Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sun Cars

I considered blogging about lots of things: the recent Supreme Court decision banning the dilation and evacuation abortion procedure, the aftermath of the Virginia Tech shootings, or processing the relentless bad news from TV and newspapers. But instead, I'd like to write about a more cheerful topic: sun cars.

Ben saw his first sun car a few months ago at a park; he pointed to the yellow car next to us in the parking lot and exclaimed, "It's a sun car!" I asked him if that made our white car a moon car, and he agreed. Since then, tan cars are sand cars; red cars are apple cars; purple cars are berry cars; orange cars are either pumpkin cars or basketball cars; and green cars are (mysteriously) puppy cars. Now, when we're driving, he watches raptly for sun cars and seems overjoyed whenever he sees one. Yesterday when I was driving alone, I found myself saying in my head "Sun car!"

I love that he takes joy in something as simple as a yellow car. I marvel at this little game he made up out of his own head; he is very much his own person, who sees the world in ways that I don't. And I relish the metaphorical thinking he's capable of as he grows older.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

Amazing! I love how Ben is always engaging with the world...good for you for encouraging it!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

PS: after a few failed attempts at Google Word Verification, I am now getting Worf Verification for Dummies...and I couldn't be happier.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Precie said...

I love this! And yay for his Sun Car!

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home