All About Style
This morning, an ad for shoes at Dillard's informed me that "Easter is... all about style."
It seemed a stunningly blasphemous statement. Really? Easter is all about style? Is there any Biblical basis for that whatsoever? The words conjured up ghastly images of Joan and Melissa Rivers at the foot of the cross:
"So what kind of fashion trends do we see on our crucified Lord today?"
"Well, he's chosen to make a bold statement with a crown of thorns."
"A crown of thorns? Ouch! That can't be comfortable."
"No, but comfort isn't the point. Easter is all about style."
On one hand, I know that I shouldn't blame our consumer culture for trying to get us to buy things. Of course Dillard's will use Easter to try to get us to buy designer shoes! On another level, though, I'm disgusted by the way our culture can transform even the most sacred days into junk food and plastic trinkets. Target was trying to sell me Easter candy before Lent had even started. It's symptomatic of a culture of immediate gratification, of mindless consumerism. Why bother with the fasting, contemplation, and penitence of Lent when you can skip right to Easter and eat chocolate bunnies for a month and a half? Why bother to ponder Christ's suffering on the cross when you can go buy a pair of fancy shoes?
It seemed a stunningly blasphemous statement. Really? Easter is all about style? Is there any Biblical basis for that whatsoever? The words conjured up ghastly images of Joan and Melissa Rivers at the foot of the cross:
"So what kind of fashion trends do we see on our crucified Lord today?"
"Well, he's chosen to make a bold statement with a crown of thorns."
"A crown of thorns? Ouch! That can't be comfortable."
"No, but comfort isn't the point. Easter is all about style."
On one hand, I know that I shouldn't blame our consumer culture for trying to get us to buy things. Of course Dillard's will use Easter to try to get us to buy designer shoes! On another level, though, I'm disgusted by the way our culture can transform even the most sacred days into junk food and plastic trinkets. Target was trying to sell me Easter candy before Lent had even started. It's symptomatic of a culture of immediate gratification, of mindless consumerism. Why bother with the fasting, contemplation, and penitence of Lent when you can skip right to Easter and eat chocolate bunnies for a month and a half? Why bother to ponder Christ's suffering on the cross when you can go buy a pair of fancy shoes?
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
4 Comments:
Just wondering if anyone if anyone read my post and thought, "Hmmm.... Today she is ranting about turning Easter into junk food, but just yesterday she was posing Peeps with Noah." If so, you get points for being an astute reader.
Excellent post, Tess. I agree with you it's disturbing. We have the opp with our children to turn things around.
(Sushil has a great point. I'm going to steal his idea and write a book about it. An emotional 1984)
That was me...my finger slipped and hit the enter button before I could identify.
LMAO!! I just think that is hysterical that you called them out. Easter is so not about STYLE...I told my MIL that Easter isn't about grudges, it's about Jesus...so she could come to the Easter dinner...she didn't, she boycotted. BITCH
HSGPBO
Post a Comment
<< Home