Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Great American Novel

Last night, I got into a discussion with my critique group about whether there's such a thing as the Great American Novel. I would argue that some novels are broad enough in scope or ambition to qualify--although I don't think that any one book clearly holds the title.

Of the books I've read recently from the past several decades, the following come closest: The Falls, by Joyce Carol Oates; American Pastoral, by Philip Roth; and World's Fair, by E.L. Doctorow. Each uses a particular family to explore what it means to be American, and each one is conscious of broader American history beyond that family. If I had to choose which one comes closest to my Platonic ideal, I would have to say American Pastoral. Even two years after reading it, I still think of the characters (I think my favorite is Dawn, the former Miss New Jersey) and the themes of violence and identity.

I once taught American literature, but I still don't feel qualified to pick books from the past. Surely something by Toni Morrison or Faulkner should be in the running, but I'm not sure what. Huckleberry Finn and The Great Gatsby both explore different aspects of the American experience and the American character. Sister Carrie and The House of Mirth are both contenders, and I'd include The Scarlet Letter if I didn't find it boring. What else? Moby Dick? Their Eyes Were Watching God? Is Henry James American enough to write a Great American Novel? Some books--such as Ethan Frome or Catcher in the Rye--are well-written, but are they big enough in scope?

So I turn to my readers. Do you think there's such a thing as a Great American Novel, or is that an outmoded concept? What books would make your list?

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

The Great American Novel just seems kind of quaint, as a concept, in when so much of American literature today is either genre-based or informed by much larger global concerns and more pronounced explorations of culture. When I hear that phrase, I think 1930s and earlier, as if Steinbeck was the capstone in our course on how to write typically American lit. Many classic books have been written since -- The Color Purple jumps to mind -- but they don't ring with that sort of bygone sound that the GAN evokes for me, and in that category, The Sound and the Fury and Grapes of Wrath top my list.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

Hmmm...A Cricket in Times Square? The All of a Kind Family? Why I am drawn to kids' books is beyond me...

I really just came over here to say thank you for being you and to tell you that you made a difference in my life today. And I thank you...

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with carrie_lofty on Steinbeck. How about The Grapes of Wrath?

8:42 AM  
Blogger Precie said...

Such a difficult topic. After all, "great" according to whom? "Great" according to what criteria? I agree that even the term "The Great American Novel" seems rather quaint.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home