Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Inchworm


This morning before the storms hit, I was working outside on the deck. As I read a story for my critique group, in my peripheral vision I saw something small and green dangling from the gutter: an inchworm was slowly lowering itself along an invisible thread. When the wind gusted, the little creature swung wildly back and forth. When the air grew calm again, it continued lowering itself, little by little.

As I watched, I thought that maybe there's a lesson for us: the inchworm doesn't need firm ground as long as it had the one thin strand to cling to and to guide it.

At last--partially out of pity and partially because I didn't want it swinging in my face--I interrupted my meditation on the lessons of nature and gave the inchworm a rest on the story.

* * *

Speaking of my critique group, we are now the poster children for critique groups, at least in St. Louis. Go here (scroll down to the second picture) to see our smiling faces.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

We had a run-in with a worm this week, too. :)

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent analogy. And if we could see from say the perspective of God's eyes, a lot of us would be held on to by nothing but a thin thread at certain times of our lives...even in those moments when we feel very, very comfortable.

And by the way, I know that was my story the inchworm squatted on. Thanks ;)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

Seee....I wanna join your club........I love the inch worm....inch worm...measuring the marigolds...you and your arithmetic....

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home