Implicit Associations
If you want to see what subconscious prejudices you harbor, check out Harvard's Implicit Association Tests. I first heard of these tests when I read Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell; despite being half black, he discovers that he favors black people over white people.
I took three of the tests and was not particularly pleased with the results. Most surprising: I have a very strong association between women and family and men and careers. Strange. I think part of it stems from the fact that I mostly socialize with women who stay home at least part-time; even though I work 2 days a week, I work from home and never see other women working.
I took three of the tests and was not particularly pleased with the results. Most surprising: I have a very strong association between women and family and men and careers. Strange. I think part of it stems from the fact that I mostly socialize with women who stay home at least part-time; even though I work 2 days a week, I work from home and never see other women working.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
4 Comments:
I did four: slight association of white w/ American and Native American w/ foreign; strong association of Bush w/ bad and Roosevelt w/ good; moderate association of gay w/ good and straight w/ bad; no difference between associations of men/women with career/family
Interesting stuff. Thx for sharing.
"Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Gay People compared to Straight People."
Go Phillies!
Are the Phillies gay?
I also have a slight automatic preference for fat people compared to thin people.
"Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for John F. Kennedy compared to George W. Bush."
Did I really need to take that test? (I'm proud to say that I was VERY quick to push the button for Bush when he was on the same side as Awful or Terrible...)
Post a Comment
<< Home