A Few More Olympic Thoughts
1) Way to go, Dawn Harper! The East St. Louis native made everyone in the metro area proud when she won an unexpected gold medal in the women's 100-meter hurdles. The news from East St. Louis is usually bad, so it's wonderful to see her elation and success.
2) White bikinis become see-through in the rain. And is there a reason the women beach volleyball players wear skimpy outfits but the men dress like surfers? Still, congratulations to Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor!
3) As much as I'm enjoying the Olympics, I'll be relieved when they're over and I can finally catch up on my sleep.
2) White bikinis become see-through in the rain. And is there a reason the women beach volleyball players wear skimpy outfits but the men dress like surfers? Still, congratulations to Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor!
3) As much as I'm enjoying the Olympics, I'll be relieved when they're over and I can finally catch up on my sleep.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
1 Comments:
"3) As much as I'm enjoying the Olympics, I'll be relieved when they're over and I can finally catch up on my sleep."
Well, don't sleep too much, you've got to manage your fantasy football pool this fall. And what do you think the Rams will do this season?
Re: Women's Beach Volleyball. I think that the, um, uniform is unfortunately what allows the sport to be relevant in the marketplace. The same thing is in place in women's tennis (though that does have bigger paydays for the sport itself); by looking good on the court, female athletes have more endorsement deals, calendar sales, etc. Top tier male athletes don't face the same level of scrutiny, and can focus just on their sports performance (though there is still some level of appearance that comes into play). I don't know that men's beach volleyball players earn as much overall, though, because they really don't tap into the sportsporn market.
Is it good that the female form being celebrated is athletic in these cases (a la Backlash?)
Post a Comment
<< Home