Seven Thoughts on the Olympics
In no particular order:
1) I love watching Nastia Liukin do gymnastics--she has a graceful style that enhances her technical performance. I wish she could have at least shared the gold medal for the uneven bars.
2) I don't for a second believe those Chinese gymnasts are all 16.
3) Michael Phelps is pretty darn amazing. I don't care if people say he's been overhyped in the media--that man can swim!
4) The look of pure joy on Jamaican runner Shelly-Ann Fraser's face when she won the gold in the women's 100m was beautiful.
5) I wish NBC would show us a little more range in skill level; while it's great to know all about Michael Phelps, I'm also interested to know more about some of the athletes at the bottom of the Olympic heap. How do they train, what are their expectations, and how do they feel about having the odds stacked against them? I would have been interested to see some of the worst gymnasts and gymnastic teams so I'd have a better sense of why the best ones are the best.
6) It's funny marveling at the athleticism of the human form when my body is performing marvels of its own.... I sit munching on the couch to feed my ever-expanding waistline while admiring the powerful muscles and dedication of the athletes.
7) The Olympics are awfully nice to watch on our new TV. For two years we've talked about upgrading to a flatscreen, and now we finally have one. Although I did take perverse pride in having a small TV but very big book shelves, it's wonderful to see the bright colors and details.
1) I love watching Nastia Liukin do gymnastics--she has a graceful style that enhances her technical performance. I wish she could have at least shared the gold medal for the uneven bars.
2) I don't for a second believe those Chinese gymnasts are all 16.
3) Michael Phelps is pretty darn amazing. I don't care if people say he's been overhyped in the media--that man can swim!
4) The look of pure joy on Jamaican runner Shelly-Ann Fraser's face when she won the gold in the women's 100m was beautiful.
5) I wish NBC would show us a little more range in skill level; while it's great to know all about Michael Phelps, I'm also interested to know more about some of the athletes at the bottom of the Olympic heap. How do they train, what are their expectations, and how do they feel about having the odds stacked against them? I would have been interested to see some of the worst gymnasts and gymnastic teams so I'd have a better sense of why the best ones are the best.
6) It's funny marveling at the athleticism of the human form when my body is performing marvels of its own.... I sit munching on the couch to feed my ever-expanding waistline while admiring the powerful muscles and dedication of the athletes.
7) The Olympics are awfully nice to watch on our new TV. For two years we've talked about upgrading to a flatscreen, and now we finally have one. Although I did take perverse pride in having a small TV but very big book shelves, it's wonderful to see the bright colors and details.
Name: Tess
Home: St. Louis
3 Comments:
1) me too
2) they're not. froog found some articles online that haven't yet been "corrected."
i cry through the *whole thing.* i am SUCH a sap.
Usain Bolt's win at the 100M sprint was jaw-dropping. And Constantina Tomescu Dita winning the marathon was also great. Although I was watching those with Kaela & her marathon-training partner, so there could be some bias.
Moonrat, I get all sentimental too. It's even worse right now with all the pregnancy hormones.
Post a Comment
<< Home