Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Who cooks for you?

I'm having trouble adjusting to life in the suburbs. In Philadelphia, I got semi-accustomed to hearing the trash truck clang and bang while emptying the Dumpster outside our window at 3 AM. Car alarms and sirens barely rouse me. But I was unprepared for the noise outside early this morning: an owl.

We were sleeping with our windows open, so I heard the call clearly: Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you-all? Tom and I went on an Owl Prowl early in our marriage, so I recognized the hooting as the voice of a Barred Owl.

Of course, it woke Ben up early. He was sleepy-eyed and cranky, so I told him it was an owl and imitated the call. Now that Ben can say "owl" and hoot, I'm hoping the sound won't bother him as much next time.

According to The Owl Pages, Barred Owl males call out to potential mates during the breeding season, from February to August. I hope our procrastinating owl ouside finds himself a nice lady-friend soon.


Photo by Killbyte on flickr.com. Owl call from www. owlpages.com.

4 Comments:

Blogger Seri said...

Tess, I am quite the opposite! We lived in the country for over 10 years and just moved to the city in October. I am having a hard time getting adjusted to that garbage truck at 7:00 a.m.!!! Ironic, hey?
I'd give anything to hear a hoot owl and crickets by the river again.....
Amber

3:30 PM  
Blogger tom said...

barred owls are cool. i'd much rather get woken up by one of those.

just be glad we haven't heard any barn owls yet.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

If you move into my neighborhood you can hear the trash truck during Wesley's afternoon naptime and owls and crickets at night. The owl doesn't bother me, but I am so glad the crickets are in the front of the house because I cannot sleep with that noise.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You taught Ben an OWL HOOT? Lady, I can't even get my son to say "Mama" or "Dada." Way to give me a complex, Tess!

(Actually, you're a pretty cool mom, I think, but I had to give you a hard time.)

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home