Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Saturday Art

small sketch

Here's the final draft from last week (with a sharpie next to it for scale).


large sketch

Here's my first very rough draft in its actual size (with the sharpie).


The self portraits were much harder to draw than I suspected. I can't really see anything with my head at that angle, and occasionally I had to draw with my right hand (I'm left handed). The solution? Take a picture. I'll have my husband take a few pictures of me in that (very awkward) position, I'll print them out and work from there. Not completely, mind you; when I draw from photographs it looks very stiff. But I'll use them to draw my torso and left hand.

Despite the awkwardness, I do think I should keep that formal pose. This is a truce, an agreement where both sides don't completely agree. It calls for formality. Formality contains the doubts.

Next week I'll be working on the final finished drawing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home