Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Monday, June 12, 2006

Perhaps a Metaphor

Today, the sun is shining brightly, and my flowers have redoubled their efforts. Or is it foolish to speak about "effort" when it comes to flowers? They're doing what they were made to do. They don't have to be conscious to grow and bloom.


Looking at the flowers today, I am reminded of the opening lines of Louise Gluck's poem "The Red Poppy":

The great thing
is not having
a mind. Feelings:
oh, I have those; they
govern me. I have
a lord in heaven
called the sun, and open
for him, showing him
the fire of my own heart, fire
like his presence.


My dad one told me that trees, as they grow, try to make a particular shape. Each tree is programmed to branch and grow a certain way, but many factors--amount of sun and water, or quality of the soil, or competing trees nearby--influence the actual shape a tree has. Only rarely, when you see a tree standing by itself in a field, can you see the shape it was trying to be.

3 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Gorgeous!

I was just at a rose garden today--one of four sites we toured for the our graduation for NEXT June!

Hh

3:36 PM  
Blogger Big_Daddy said...

Your post reminded me of a verse that frequently comes to my mind...

...See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.
Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.
If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'
For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Beautiful Flowers and poem excerpt!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Tess said...

Hannah--Are you picking a site for granduation?

Big Daddy--Thanks for reminding me of that verse! It's beautiful, and I find it very reassuring.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home