Arch Words

Reflections on art, politics, parenting, and life in the Midwest

Name: Tess Home: St. Louis

I'm now a graduate student in public health at Washington University in St. Louis... as well as a writer, parent, and teacher. I haven't updated this blog recently, but I may come back to it in the future.


E-mail: tessthompson (at) hotmail (dot) com

Friday, June 12, 2009

A Few Pictures

Last summer when we were visiting Tom's parents, I spent quite a bit of time sitting queasily on their front porch, trying not to throw up. (How glad I am not to be pregnant this summer!) All the flowers Tom's mom was growing made the porch a lovely place to sit and take deep breaths.


This year, I told Tom I'd like to create a similar screen of flowers on our back deck. I am not the designated gardener in our relationship; my preferred method of growing things involves flinging seeds over a patch of dirt and hoping that plants will magically grow the way they do out in the wild. Luckily, Tom has decided that gardening provides a welcome change from the intangible labor of trying to become a tenured professor, so in addition to growing various berries and vegetables he started growing flowers.


A few days ago, I took pictures of something I hadn't photographed for a while: non-child objects. My children are well documented at this point, so I decided to capture a few of the flowers.


The geraniums look vaguely patriotic against the backdrop of the hosue:



It sounds terribly cliched, but these lilies look like a burst of sunshine, even on overcast days:



Once I started taking pictures, I was intrigued to find that ants seemed to be enjoying the flowers as much as I was:



They liked these pink and white ones too:

1 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

I love the flowers! Beautiful!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home